Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Flashback has become Present Tense

It has been a while since I have read a book in the young adult genre. As an adult with more than 10 years past the typical intended audience of 12 to 19-year-olds, I read many books, mostly suggested by a friend who began her librarian career in the youth and teen services area. My friend belonged to committees requiring her to evaluate certain books, and she would pass her suggestions from that list to me. I am sure that " Eleanor & Park," by Rainbow Rowell, would have made it on to my friend’s list if she had remained active with those committees. Like my experience with the previous suggestions, "Eleanor & Park" has been highly engaging.

What I have liked is that Rowell writes from the point of view of both main characters. Even when the characters do not know what the other is thinking, the reader does, and that makes it engaging.


Most of the story, so far, has revolved around the school bus, which is where Eleanor and Park meet. As their relationship expands, the locations shift. However, most of the time the two are at school. Rowell does not show as much of Park’s family life compared to Eleanor’s. Eleanor also has the more protective bubble around herself. The protective bubble is about keeping Park out of Eleanor’s family life as much as keeping him in her fantasy life and giving her someone to think about at home. The bubbles begin to pop, in a sense, as the interactions expand outside of school, which also breaks some of the fantasy. Like Park, I do not know if I would have recognized what Eleanor’s clothing and reactions would have meant at the age of 16. Also, what does it state when the teenager understands more than the parent about what is happening, and yet cannot leave? How can Eleanor survive and what will be the effect on her younger siblings? I see similar signs of Eleanor’s struggle in the neighborhood kids where I live in Kalamazoo, and I wonder the same about them. The story is supposed to take place in 1986, yet in 2017, poverty is not only real, the rate in the United States has increased. I am curious how Rowell’s story will progress even though I want to keep the bubble safe, much like Eleanor does.

16 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you when you say that your experience with this book so far has been engaging. For someone who does not typically like reading love stories, I am very much enjoying this so far.
    Also I am interested to find out if their relationship will extend to more than just bus rides and the first visit to Park's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed the reading so far! No matter what the age of the reader is, i think that everyone can relate to the story and think about past experiences they had when they were younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book might be geared to teenagers, but I think the characters could be any age. It's not just nostalgic thoughts, for me.

      Delete
  3. I don't think Eleanor necessarily understands more about her home life than her parents, we are just seeing it from her perspective. I'm sure her parents completely understand their position. In fact it would explain Richie and her mothers behavior and maybe even explain why Eleanor's biological father reached out to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a point to come back to later in the story. As for the biological dad - he is selfish. If he really cared about reaching out it would happen much more consistently. Eleanor is a convenient babysitter.

      Delete
  4. I definitely see this "protective bubble" that you mention in how she keeps Park out of her home life. But my question is, who is she protecting? Is she trying to shelter Park from the horrors of her life, or is she protecting herself from the potential of Park seeing her life an not wanting to be apart of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions. I would say she is protective for both of the reasons you mentioned.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also find it interesting that the author switched between the two main characters. That showed how the two characters thought differently than one another and exposed the different thought processes characterized by two people of different social classes. Also, I never thought about the protective bubble thing until I read this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting about the protective bubble.

      Delete
  7. I really like how we get a glimpse into each of the characters' minds, like you said, it really does make it more interesting to know both of their motives and thought processes and I wish I could do that in real life. Rowell did a fantastic job separating their minds - making it clear whose head we were in at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to understand people better sometimes.

      Delete
  8. I think that Eleanor's family is aware of thats going on as much as she does, sometimes people don't change the key things in their life because even though its toxic, its familiarity, and sometimes familiarity is more comforting than ending a bad cycle. I like your points about poverty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. It also tends to be why people end up in the relationships they do - it is what is familiar and comfortable. Eleanor seems unwilling to go with that like her siblings and mom.

      Delete
  9. I agree I loved how the writer wrote from two different viewpoints. Seeing each character's viewpoints allowed me to feel like I know both of them better, and better each chapter. Yes sadly poverty is so real! Its sad America is one of the richest country but he will have citizens living in poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also enjoy the use of two different viewpoints. It allows the reader to know what is going on in both their minds and helps the book to flow.

    ReplyDelete