Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Correspondence School

 
          Something I learned when reading the second half of “I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister” – there is always correspondence school. Sohane barely gets through the school day that she decided to wear a scarf on her head. The teachers will not let Sohane come to class and she ends up in the library for most of the day. The school takes the side of the law that states religious items are not allowed, including head coverings. This time, instead of Sohane taking care of her little sister, Djelila takes care of her big sister. Djelila visits Sohane at the library and brings her food. On the way to school, Djelila sat with Sohane the entire ride instead of socializing with her friends.
            After school, Sohane and Djelila meet to go see their grandmother, Hana. This is Hana’s first direct appearance in the story. I wasn’t sure what to expect since there seemed to be all sorts of opinions and worries. When it came down to it, though, Hana and her friends (she had several over) seemed to be enjoying life. They literally were singing and dancing and laughing. If anyone found a way to be herself in the story, Hana did.
                When the sisters return home, it is time to deal with the issue of Sohane and school. Sohane has already decided that she will earn her diploma through correspondence school. Sohane’s dad is supportive and writes out the check after Sohane figures out the cost. Sohane’s mom leans more towards Sohane staying where she is and not wearing the scarf. I found it interesting how supportive the dad was over the mom. It seems the conflict in the story comes from trying to be yourself, and what happens when that expression of yourself conflicts with others who are or believe they are in authority. As far as how Sohane and Djelila grew up, their parents seem to allow the personal expressions, within certain guidelines.
            I am looking forward to discussing with the rest of the literature circle and figuring out what we are going to present.

3 comments:

  1. I'm honestly conflicted about the burkha/headdress/scarf. On one hand I don't really care what people wear on the other hand burkhas are generally used to oppress women in several islamic states. I'm not against it, it's more like I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought it was interesting how the dad was so much more supportive than the mom. I was relieved to see that at least one of her parents would take her side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dislike how Sohane isn't allowed in class because she is wearing a "religious item." Would the result be the same if she were wearing a small religious necklace? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete